Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Sea Salt Caramel Pecan Bars





I first made these wonderful pecan bars on the 4th of July at our neighborhood BBQ and they were a huge hit! I even over roasted my pecans, and by that I mean, BURNED. I used them anyway and I swear it made it even better. My neighbors were asking for the recipe so I'll post it here for easy access. I think I'll keep this in my back pocket for Thanksgiving too, it would make a wonderful substitute for traditional pecan pie, which I happen to favor over pumpkin. This dessert is really easy to put together but comes together as it cools, so plan in advance; if you eat these right out of the oven you will need a spoon. And you will burn your mouth off...



 


Whether you roast your own pecans or buy them already roasted for you, make sure you take the extra step. Roasting nuts brings out their nutty flavor and its beneficial in almost every recipe. I used the last of my Oklahoma foraged pecans to make these (hint hint mom, I need more!) and I swear they taste better than packaged, but that might be wishful thinking..




Pin It
These pecan bars are extremely rich and satisfying; the silky caramel leads to a bite of crunchy pecan and the sea salt is the star as it enhances the sweetness and brings out the flavors of the other ingredients. These are best enjoyed with a cold glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee. That's my kind of dessert! I hope you enjoy.


Sea Salt Caramel Pecan Bars

Sea Salt Pecans
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
2 cups raw pecan halves

Crust
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
pinch of salt (optional)

Filling
2 cups Salted Pecans
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees. Combine Sea Salt Pecan ingredients in a medium bowl and toss until pecans are coated with butter and salt. Roast 10-12 minutes or until fragrant. Set aside.

Increase oven heat to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and spray with cooking oil. In a medium bowl combine flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch and salt together until combined. Cut butter into flour mixture using your fingers until pea-sized lumps form. Press crust evenly in the bottom of prepared baking sheet, set aside.

In a microwave safe bowl add butter, brown sugar and heavy cream and heat on high for one minute. Stir, and heat again for one minute more. Mix in vanilla and salt and blend until remaining butter is melted.

Sprinkle pecans and chocolate chips evenly over the top of the crust. Add caramel mixture on top until evenly distributed. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until bubbly and browned. Remove from oven and let cool for 3 hours on the counter top and chill overnight in the fridge for clean and easy cutting.




Try not to eat more than one, unless you've just run a marathon and then you can have three. 

No comments:

Post a Comment