Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Chicago-Style German Potato Salad






 
Pin It
My mother-in-law still sends letters the old fashioned way and I love this about her. It's nice to unplug and get correspondence from someone that isn't in the form of a text or email. She recently sent me a newspaper article about an Oklahoma based mustard company called Seikel's Oklahoma Gold Mustard.  The article noted it was being sold at Whole Foods Market and since I work for the company, she thoughtfully sent me the accompanying recipe. I happened to have a 5 pound sack of recently purchased Yukon Golds so it really was perfect timing.

The article calls this Oklahoma-Style German Potato Salad but because I couldn't find Siekel's here in Chicago I opted for a Chicago based mustard company, Mustard Girl, and renamed it Chicago-Style German Potato Salad. I can do that right?

The original recipe calls for 1/2 pound of bacon crumbled on top but I eliminated the bacon and it was great. This mayo-less salad is great for BBQ's or picnics or just a change from the usual. The amount of vinegar seems like a lot but the flavors really mellow and deepen when simmered on the stove top. This potato salad has just enough bite. I reduced the original amount of sugar the recipe called for from 1/4 cup to 1 tablespoon because I thought the 1/4 cup I used was too sweet, but play with the measurements to suit your own tastes. 

Let me know what you think and if you have a favorite local mustard. I always like finding new products and testing new recipes.


Chicago-Style German Potato Salad

2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon Mustard Girl yellow mustard
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped

Boil potatoes in a large pot filled with salted water for about 20 minutes or until tender. Remove from water, let cool, and cut potatoes into cubes.

Saute onion in oil over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mustard, vinegars, sugar, salt and parsley, letting it simmer for 2 minutes.

Toss potatoes with sauce. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment