Friday, September 21, 2012

Pretty in Pink





Now that you've brought out your autumn decorations from the attic it's time to put on a pot of your favorite chili and bake some corn muffins and officially ring in the fall season this Saturday. I've finally caught the autumn bug after resisting it for a few weeks, but now I'm embracing it wholeheartedly. The pumpkin harvest beer from Blue Moon I'm sipping is also helping me to get over the long summer days. But shorter days also mean I'm spending more time indoors, much of it wasted watching hulu, but my web surfing took me to this you tube video of South Korean music sensation, PSY (short for psycho, how can it NOT be good?) Now that you've had your pop culture injection for the day we can move on. (Joel points out this video has over 200 million hits, so I'm not exactly being revelatory here. It's still awesome so watch it again).








My mother-in-law is an amazing cook and if possible, and even better hostess. Martha Stewart could learn a thing or two from Bev. From her immaculately decorated home to her decade old sourdough starter, there's nothing Bev knows better than entertaining well. When we come to visit her in El Reno, Oklahoma she always knows what her son wants to eat and she can't go wrong with her homemade chili. What separates Bev's chili from the rest of the pack is her delicious pink onions that top the steaming chili and add texture and flavor to jazz up even the best bowl of beans.

I finally asked Beverly for this recipe and she happily wrote it down for me twice. The first time I stuck the note in my pocket and then washed them the very next day. She graciously mailed me a fresh copy after I realized my error and finally, Pink Onions! She got this recipe from Vegetarian Cooking and it couldn't be easier to make. You'll have plenty of time to whip them up while your beans are simmering away. You can use your favorite kind of vinegar or whatever you have on hand. Apple cider, white wine, or red wine will all work with the same yummy result. Substituting a white or yellow onion is also an option but then you can't call them pink onions anymore. If you have leftovers, and you probably will, try using them on sandwiches, scrambled in eggs, in stir-fries, or anything else you can envision.


Pink Onions

2 cups water
1 1/2 tablespoons-1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar, divided
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
salt to taste

In a large saucepan over high heat bring water and 1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar to a boil. Add onion and return to a boil and cook uncovered over medium heat 2-3 minutes. Drain onion and let cool. In a bowl stir together onion, 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar, oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and salt. Serve at room temperature or cover and chill until ready to serve.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment