Thursday, September 6, 2012

Oklahoma Breakdown









It's been a little longer than I'd like since my last post; family took us back to Oklahoma where we endured 100 degree heat, ate way too much food, and got to play with small children and babies. The photo above was taken in my mom's backyard on the last full moon which happened to be a blue moon. Spending the evening relaxing by the light of the moon in the warm Oklahoma night reminded me of why it's such a great state. Stunning sunsets and nights spent outdoors close to nature is soothing and a welcome relief after the bustle of the city.

 Overall the trip was successful but at times the stress and anxiety ran high as it has a tendency to do when you get together with the family. I love reading books about family dynamics. Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections and Jane Smiley's A Thousand Acres remind me that families are by nature chaotic, overwhelming, and completely necessary. The fact that our families shape who we grow up to be makes us inextricably linked forever and it's impossible to ever distance yourself from that.

My original idea for a recipe came from my mother-in-law, a dish she makes when we come to town because my husband loves her vegetarian chili. Pink Onions top the chili and it's amazing how the bowl of hot chili is transformed by the slightly sweet and tart onions when they combine together in one bite. She wrote the recipe down for me but then I stuck them in my pocket and washed my jeans the next day. This kind of stuff happens pretty regularly. So until then I'm settling for a similar type of dish, a topping you can put on top of almost anything, but especially Mexican dishes. It's been adapted by a recipe I saw in Cook's Illustrated as a topping for chicken fajitas. It will also pair well with stews and chili's, sandwiches, ect. It's incredibly easy and also has great heat behind it so be sure to adjust the jalapeno to your liking. Stay tuned for Pink Onions to come...





 






Adapted from Cook's Illustrated
Spicy Pickled Radishes
Makes about 1 3/4 cups

10 radishes, trimmed and sliced thinly
1/2 cup lime juice (4 limes) or 2 T apple cider vinegar
1 jalapeno, sliced thinly
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or refrigerate for up to 24 hours.





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment