Sunday, June 8, 2014

Take This Spoon

I consider myself lucky to be surrounded with talented and creative people. I've always been drawn to artists; perhaps because I lack such talent of my own I siphon what I can from those around me. So I felt fortunate to travel to Maryland last year with my girlfriend Sandra who published a touching short story in the Free State Review. She read her very personal story to a room full of strangers and I was in awe of her strength and talent with words. 

It was there in Maryland that I met Mr. Barrett Warner, a poet, critic, and editor of the Free State Review. He invited us to his sprawling horse ranch on acres of rolling hills; its beauty so breathtaking I couldn't believe such a heaven existed on earth. It was there Barrett told stories of his wife Julia Wendell, another artist of considerable talent and avid horse lover. She was away racing horses in a 3 day event so I never had the pleasure of meeting her face to face. Barrett spoke fondly of her and was proud of her accomplishments in poetry and horse racing; Julia has 8 other published works and trophies, ribbons, and pictures of Julia on horseback filled their home. It was rather intimating honestly, how does one family have such success on so many different levels? It was a foreign and beautiful weekend on that horse farm in Maryland. 




So it was with pleasure that I read Julia's latest work, Take This Spoon, and I consider it an honor that Barrett asked me to review the book here on my blog. This isn't just any work of poetry, it's a book of poetry about food written by an anorexic. Julia speaks about her addictions with such startling intimacy you can't help but be drawn into her story, she takes you for a ride with words and it will sit with you long after you read it. 


"I surround myself with cats
who kill and eat, dogs who eat
what's killed, and horses
who eat what's given to them. 
Self-consciouness doesn't ruin

their appetite or enjoyment.
They don't judge what they consume,
or long for what they won't allow themselves.
They don't confuse who they are
with what they eat,
fearing they won't be loved
if they're fat, or don't cook, 
or overcook, or nearly kill themselves
by making up for their gluttony
with fasting."
-from DIETING



Her book is divided into 7 parts and each begins with a different recipe handed down from her own family. She speaks frequently of her mother and their relationship with food, something I identify with very much. I have wonderful memories of cooking in the kitchen with my mother and Julia writes of her own experiences in a way that most anyone can relate. For example, your mother's unique handwriting written on a recipe card that has the power to transform you to different place and time. I can't remember what I did ten minutes ago but I remember so clearly standing next to my mother as she showed me the proper way to cut a whole chicken into pieces. The power of food and how we relate to it is intertwined into the people we become and I can't recommend reading this work enough. It will leave you wishing for more and you won't be able to look at your next meal the same way again.

I've shared one of Julia's recipes for Peanut Butter Pie. She says whoever eats a piece is guaranteed to ask for the recipe, and since trying it myself I will have to agree. It's so easy to make and so wonderfully light and delicious. The secret she says is lots and lots of beating. I used a store bought pie crust and it turned out wonderfully. I can't wait until I have an excuse to make this pie again.











PEANUT BUTTER PIE

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Baked, cold pie crust
whipped cream

Beat butter until light and fluffy. Add peanut butter and beat again. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat 5 minutes, first egg, and 3 minutes, second egg. Add vanilla. Blend well. Pour into baked crust and chill until firm. Top with whipped cream. 




Pin It



 You can buy Julia's book by clicking here. While many of her poems spoke to me deeply, I'd like to share this one; the lesson is one that we can all identify with.


CHOCOLATE SAUCE

I'm here to entice
you to sit down
at your abandoned
dining room table,
even if the kids
have long gone,
their shipwrecked seats
still stained
with dried ketchup
and soy sauce.
Invite someone
over for dinner
you haven't seen
in a while. Begin
to set aside the time
with four things at hand-
chocolate, cream, sugar,
and pinches of
any sweet something
you choose to add:
maybe that longed-for trip
to St. John or new career,
maybe the words
I'm sorry or I love you-
essential ingredients
in anyone's kitchen.



Thank you Julia for writing a beautiful book of poetry and thank you Barrett for thinking of me and letting me share it with the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment