Thursday, March 22, 2012

Salsa Shrimp


Well I survived St. Patrick's Day in the Windy City. The throngs of green shirts and shamrocks could be seen for miles and miles, it was really quite a sight to behold. I may chalk this one up to a fairly enjoyable experience and think fondly of it only in my memory because I'm not sure I'm likely to brave the crowds and dodge puddles of "you know what" (I'm too much of a lady to use such language) but it tends to happen to many who imbibe in too many spirits at such an early time of the day. The green river was a sight to behold, that alone was worth battling the crowds on the train but since I have a picture of it I'm more likely to stay inside where it's safe rather than battle the crowds again next year.

 


The unseasonably warm weather here in Chicago has thrown a lot of people off and while I love that I had to open the box under the bed labeled "summer clothes" it's thrown me off in the kitchen. While outside it's lovely, the warm sun and cool breeze on your face would make anyone happy I just can't find my groove in our tiny apartment where all the heat in the city seems to accumulate. I mean it is HOT, take off all your clothes and take an icy shower hot and I'm so scared for July and August to arrive that I tremble in fear of what that means for long restless nights finding that cool spot on your pillow.

Despite the heat I turned the oven on to make this simple yet tasty shrimp appetizer, or entree if you so desire. The result was worth it but I won't be back in the kitchen anytime soon, it will take a few hours for the heat to fully dissipate. I foresee many salads and other simply prepared foods in my future..

I came across this recipe for Salsa Shrimp in a Northwest Fresh magazine that featured an article about Tobey Rodriguez, a cake decorator in Seattle who I had the honor of taking a class from. And while I'll never be able to pipe roses as beautifully as she can I gained a lot of information and a new appreciation for cake decorators. This simple dish is easy to put together and can make an elegant presentation for any get together with friends and family. As always, your dish will only be as good as your ingredients. Make sure your shrimp is fresh, when you get home from the store put your shrimp on ice and store it in the refrigerator if you're not going to use it right away. Shrimp spoils easily and needs to be kept at 34 degrees, most refrigerators are set around 41 degrees. Ensure that your shrimp is not mushy and a healthy pink color. Your nose is invaluable at detecting the freshness of shrimp, if you smell any fishy or other off odors your shrimp is spoiled. Also, the salsa in this recipe plays a big part with the other flavors, so be sure to use a quality brand. I recommend making your own favorite homemade salsa or choosing a pre-made salsa that you know you enjoy.  I can't imagine using Pace Picante Sauce in this recipe, but if you know you like then go for it. I used a pre-made salsa from Whole Foods Market and it was delicious. It had just the right consistency (not too thick) and just enough kick and flavor that I knew it would work beautifully.



Salsa Shrimp

1 pound fresh or frozen, thawed shrimp
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup fresh salsa
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
sliced fresh baguette bread (for dipping)

Shell and devein shrimp if necessary; rinse and pat dry. Place butter in oven-proof dish; stir in salsa, cilantro, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper and shrimp. Bake in 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and arrange on a serving plate with baguette slices. Pour sauce from baking dish into a serving bowl and serve alongside. Makes 15-20 appetizers. 



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment