Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Granola for your Soul





I never find myself rushing home to dig into some granola, in fact when I see it on the menu in restaurants I think "ANYTHING but that!" But once I actually take a bite I think, "I could eat this everyday." I don't know why my brain plays tricks on me like that. Now granola is not cheap anyway you cut it, but making it at home is a great way to save a little dough. You probably already have some of the ingredients in your pantry. If you're like me and starting off with the bare minimum in your cupboards then be prepared for sticker shock. Nuts will be the most expensive item on your grocery list but you can also try cheaper alternatives like sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds as opposed to cashews or walnuts. This is a great granola recipe, I like mine chunky and served with vanilla yogurt and fresh berries with a splash of honey on top. The egg whites in this recipe is what binds the granola to make it nice and chunky. Don't like chunky granola? Simply omit the egg whites. WOW, I could definitely eat this stuff everyday.

I drew inspiration for this recipe from an article in the New York Times, you can read it here.

3 cups oats
1 cup wheat bran
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup almonds
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup coconut flakes
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups maple syrup
1/2 cup olive oil
1 egg white
1/2 cup cranberries
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Mix oats, wheat bran, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, cinnamon, syrup, and olive oil together in a large bowl. Once your ingredients are thoroughly combined whip the egg white in a bowl until it becomes frothy. Pour egg white over the ingredients in your bowl and mix well. Spread granola on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes stirring occasionally to cook evenly. Let it cool completely before removing from pan. Once granola cools completely break into large clusters and add cranberries and raisins. Store in an airtight container for up to one month. Freeze for up to 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment